Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Week 13: Bocce Ball

(The following game, bocce ball, is definitely not exclusive to Hawaii.  However, Hawaii is extremely conducive to bocce ball.  With year round outdoorsy weather, it's one of those games that perfectly suited to Hawaiian lifestyle--at least in my humble newcomer's opinion.)

Okay, let's be straight for a moment.  I am not much of sports person.  I do enjoy the outdoors, but pretty much on my own terms.  I like hiking and dips in the ocean.  I profess to enjoy kayaking, which I honestly do, but I hardly ever do it.  The costs are somewhat prohibitive at this time, but I hope to be able to buy a kayak in the future.  Space is an issue too, so it's all about the waiting game with that.  I also really like to snorkel, but once again good gear costs good moolah...  So, what's a guy to do...

How about bocce ball! 



Which is my new absolute favorite outdoor game.  I have never liked bowling because the ball is heavy and the course is awkward.  Sliding a seven pound ball (or however many pounds it weighs) on a fifty foot (or whatever distance it is) laminated wooden surface?  Whose idea of fun is that?  Not mine.  I am not much into golf...way too much "science" involved:  which club to use, how to hit the ball, etc etc.  But bocce ball is SO much fun!

In bocce ball, or less the incarnation I played, you roll the ball through grass on uneven surfaces.  It could be slight uphead or slightly downhill.  With the way we played, the possibilities were endless.  Basically you beginning by having one team toss the small white ball (called a jack).  The two teams toss their respective balls to see who can get the most balls closest to the jack.  Scoring is based on which team has the most balls nearest the jack.  You can do things like knock the other player's balls away from the jack, or even knock the jack away from the other player's balls.   So there is strategy involved. 

We played at Ala Moana park and found many different terrains and hazards along the way.   Once we ended up near a small metal utilizes cover and I was able to bounce my last ball off of the cover to knock the closest ball away and basically win the round.  It was a thrilling moment.  I totally recommend trying this game!

No comments:

Post a Comment