Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Week 7: Coco/Macnut Pie

Okay, let me start by saying that I love just about all things coconut:  coconut juice, coconut pudding, coconut curry, coconut ice cream, coconut shave ice, coconut cream pie--man, I LOVE it all!!!  Hence the name, Coconut Dave.  Also, Coconut is one of those flavors associated with the islands. So one day, long ago, I got the idea to make a coconut and macadamia nut pie.  One of my favorite pies is pecan, so I thought macnuts would make a perfect alternative. 

Turns out, lot's of people thought of this idea way before I did.  But no one ever seem to think of adding coconut to the mix.  That's where my recipe is different. 

A typical macnut pie recipe might read something like this:

1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup chopped macnuts
2/3 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
A pie shell

Easy peasy, simple as pie.  My idea was to substitute and add a few things to change the flavor slightly, and let me tell you, it absolutely positively worked.  This is a great pie.  I won't tell you the exact measurements I use, but I will tell you to get rid of the butter and use coconut milk (perferably a thick one).  Sub half the sugar or more with shredded coconut.  And man, you got one DEE-LICIOUS pie!  I have added a few other slight variations to my own recipe, but those are secrets--so I won't tell!

Anyway, give it a try some time!  Experiment with your own flavors and let me know how it comes out!  Trust me, you will not be disappointed.  As my brother would say:  "you can't go wrong with pie".  ESPECIALLY if it has coconut in it.

Goooood eats!!!

2 comments:

  1. i'm taking this as a challenge...of course you have access to fresher ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool! let me know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete