Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lappert's Ice Cream---taste of the islands in a cone!

Kauai pie--one of the most awesome ice cream flavors ever!
Just for a moment please indulge me and let me talk one of my favorite things--ice cream!  Hawaii happens to be the home of one my favorite premium hand made ice cream makers (ice cream you can pretty much only get in Hawaii), Lappert's.  As you can see above, my favorite Lappert's flavor is Kauai pie.  It consists of  Kona coffee ice cream, toasted coconut, chocolate fudge, and toasted macadamia nuts.
Pure heavenly mana!  With flavors like Heavenly Hana, Big Island Inspiration, Auntie Lilikoi's Passion Fruit, Luau Delight, Kona Lava Java, Maui Mango Madness, and Mauna Kea's Secret it's easy to see that Lappert's gets great inspiration from their island home.

Hanapepe Kauai, site of the very first Lappert's ice cream shop.

I first tried Lappert's in 1997 on my second honeymoon to Kauai.  The above unassuming shop was sort of an afterthough as we were making our way from one side of the island to the other.  Little did we know the deliciousness we would find behind those doors.  For the rest of our trip, we eagerly sought out Lappert's where ever we went.  Sadly, we would find after our trip that there was no way to get it on the mainland.  Thankfully we can now get it anytime we want!

Lappert's was created in 1983 in Kauai when Walter and Mary Lappert decided to take a leap of faith and bring premium ice cream to Hawaii.  They started with vanilla and macadamia nut, eventually expanding to over 200 flavors.  In 1986, after building a roasting room in the back of their ice cream shop, they added coffee to the menu.  Bakery items were also added, turning Lappert's into a Hawaiian institution.

I do love ice cream, but I am extremely picky in the type of ice cream I will eat.  Sorry folks, but corporate junk like Baskin Robbins just doesn't cut it for me.  In Southern California, we have very few hand made premium ice cream shops.  Among the most outstanding for me was a tiny shop in Upland called Handel's.  It was a great place to get a scoop, especially on dollar scoop night.  But let me tell you, as good as Handel's might be, it does not hold a candle (bad pun) to Lappert's.

2 comments:

  1. You are right about how great this ice cream is. There is also a Lapperts in Sausalito California, and I also saw one in Las Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have heard about the California one and been to the Vegas one. Odd thing though, I read on there website that these are not owned by Lappert's of Hawaii. I also read that the flavors are different. If anyone has more info on this, I would really appreciate it

    ReplyDelete