Sunday, October 17, 2010

Week 10: a lil' back ground info

The two biggest questions I get these days are 1) Where are you from? and 2) Why did you move to Hawaii?

Both my wife and I were born and raised in California.  I lived, was educated and worked there for the first 40 years of my life.  In fact, I worked constantly at some sort of job since I was about 15 years old.  My jobs were extremely diverse:  food server, delivery driver, retail manager, substitute teacher, security guard, janitor, counselor, case manager.  The longest I have ever worked at one job site was approximately four years. 

My 25 year work streak unceremoniously came to an idea when I lost my most recent job.  After a year of fruitlessly searching for a new one, my family and I were forced to make a difficult decision.  It seemed one of the primary reasons for my inability to find a new job in California was the ever burgeoning unemployment problem.  Statistically, California is 3-4 percent higher in unemployment than the national average.  It is double the percentage of states like Hawaii.  Because of California's relatively high population, these percentage differences translate to competition in the millions as opposed to the thousands in a state like Hawaii.  Of course, a state like Hawaii has less jobs to offer, but competition in the thousands instead of millions translates to a much higher probability of finding work in Hawaii.  And so we chose to try to find work here.

It definitely helps that Hawaii is one of the states where we have family.  My parents semi-retired here 12 years ago.  My father recently retired from work completely.  And my mother, who runs a small business, often contemplates joining him.  One of the conditions of residing with them has been for me to help her run her small business.  We are also fully aware of the reality that they eventually will need some sort of assistance as they grow into old age.  Another reason for us to come here.

I continue always to search for jobs and to attend interviews.  I am also seriously contemplating, but deeply dreading, a return to academic life.  My field is mental health, which has taken a severe hit during this seemingly endless recession. 

There you have it.  A little background info on my situation.  I am here partly to work on rebuilding my life, and partly to contribute to the well-being of my aging parents.  There is much at stake in my being here.  Primarily the welfare of my own family and my future work situation.  I am open to what may come, but also quite anxious about what I might find.

No comments:

Post a Comment