Friday, December 17, 2010

Great Recipes: Kuka (Samoan Raw Fish)

A staple here is Hawaiian Poke (pokey), which is basically raw fish.  But I am sorry to say, that Poke just doesn't cut it for me.  After many years of eating great sushi and even better ceviche, there's something about Poke that is just too bland.  So I was very pleased to find a delicious alternative to Poke and I just had to share with you guys!

At our office Christmas party, one of my co-workers who comes from American Samoa brought in the Samoan version of Poke.  It's called Kuka (not sure how to pronounce it...) and it is out of this world delicious!  Yes, it does have coconut in it as well as a splash of lemon.  Added to that are chunks of tasty fish and tomatoes (another one of my favorite things), onions, and cucumbers.  This stuff is like ceviche on steroids!  And now I don't even miss my Mexican ceviche (well, sort of), I just wanna get me some Samoan Kuka--right now!

Anyway, based on what she told me and some internet research, I pieced together what I think is a decent recipe that I will definitely be trying soon.  Hope you guys like it:

2 lbs white fish (yellow tail or snapper)
2 cups coconut cream or milk
2 tomatoes diced
1 cucumber chopped
1 onion chopped
salt + pepper
1 cup lemon juice

Dice fish into cubes.  Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice.

Cover and chill 2 hours or overnight (until fish is white).  Stir occasionally.

Add cream, onion, tomato, cucumber.

Serve chilled.

And YUUUUUUMMMM!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment