Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pizza in Paradise

One of my favorite things in the world is pizza.  My tastes are eclectic, I am not a New York vs. Chicago style snob, or vice versa.  Despite being born and raised in So Cal, I am not a California gourmet pizza connoisseur.  The truth is, I will eat just about any pizza, any style from any where--as long is it tastes gooood.  So, you might ask me where I have found such a pizza in Hawaii.  Well, first let me say that one of my favorite pizzas is just down the street from where I live (thank goodness at least one decent mass made fast food style joint followed me here).  Round Table is consistently good, especially their thin crust which is about as perfect as a corporate pizza can get.  It's cheap and yummy, and easy to get to.  I'm so glad it's here because I simply cannot abide by the other corporate pizzas dumps--Domino's and Pizza Hut yuck! 
But what about REAL pizza, you say.  Indeed, what about real pizza.  Well, I am here to tell you that real pizza exists in Hawaii, and it is good.  I should first add a caveat that I have yet to find a real Chicago style deep dish pizza, but the two I am about to mention (while not the very best pizza I have eaten) are very worth checking out should you ever hit the shores of Oahu.

First, Z Pizza:


Turns out they have a location in California as well, and for good reason.  This is California gourmet style at it's best.  Heck they even have a pizza called the Californian, not to mention another one called the Berkeley Vegan (yes, they have Vegan options, as well as gluten-free for you none wheat eaters).  The ingredients are extremely fresh, many of them organic, and there are endless fascinating combinations to spark your interest.  Plus, they have this super garlicy sauce that is out-of-this-world delicious!  Their crust is light and crispy, exactly as I like it.  It's a fire roasted pizza, giving it that perfectly cooked quality.  I recommend the Napoli, because I love all things tomato, as well as the artichoke and capers pizza--mmmMmmm!

And, the V Lounge:



Considered by many locals to be the penultimate pizza in Hawaii, V Lounge does it's best to be authentic New York style and it does a pretty damn good job.  Stalwart New York pizza fans will tell you that it's not New York pizza without New York water, and some L.A. pizzerias brag about how they ship water all the way from New York to make their dough, but it turns out Hawaii water makes for a decent substitute.  It also helps that V Lounge goes the extra extra mile to add fresh local produce with authentic New York style meats, cheesee and sauces.  The Margherita pizza holds its own against any other such pizza I have tried.  And the Sopressatta offers thick slices of pepperoni that were entirely unique to my experience of pepperoni--very much worth trying.  If you want to try something different, they offer a number of local inspired toppings such as mac nuts and Maui onions.  When it comes down to it, it's a simple pizza with a great crust, tasty sauce and premium quality toppings.  What more can you ask for in a good pizza?

Note:  I also recent had a very good slice of pizza at the KCC weekly farmer's market, but I forgot to get the name of the pizzeria that made it.  It was a pesto pizza with yellow tomatos.  It was slightly bitter, but had a nice combination of flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment