Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Post in Lieu of Posting... (about the Windward Mall!)

My apologies for not posting sooner... Holiday times have been very busy for us, and I wanted to download a bunch of pictures of our Hawaii Christmas activies--which I will do very soon (I promise).

For now, I figured I would post a little blog about my new favorite mall in Oahu--the Windward Mall in Kaneohe.  It's definitely not as large as Ala Moana (supposedly the largest outdoor shopping mall in the world), but it's also not as flashy and touristy.  And it sort of reminds me of the malls back home, but somehow without the cheese vibe some of them had.  It's small, sort of intimate, and it has a Farrell's!



For those of you who don't know Farrell's, it's an ice cream shop that was big in the 1970s in California.  I am not sure why, but they all closed down in California in the early 80s.  So imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon one in the Windward Mall!

They also have a great pet store.  And a really cool food court (if food courts can be called cool...)  I like it because it is open and airy.  It's a bit of trip from Honolulu, but it's worth it.  Especially if you want to see and feel other parts of the island.  Kaneohe has a much warmer feeling than Honolulu.  The people seems easy going by comparison.  It's developed much like suburban So Cal, but with Hawaiian flare of course.  And of course, beautiful beaches are very close by.

I cannot stress this enough, and it is something I learned as a tourist here 12 years ago.  Honolulu is great.  It has a lot of nice attractions, but if you want to see all of what Oahu has to offer you should drive to place like Leeward, Windward, and the North Shore.  You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment