Monday, December 13, 2010

The Marvelous Kindle!


Kindle and I have been together for almost three weeks now, and I have to be honest that reading-wise this has been one of the best three weeks of my life!  Why you ask?  Well, first of all I have already downloaded four books--for a grand total of approximately 5 dollars!  And these are books that in physical print would easily cost between 9.99-15.99 for paperback copies.  Because it 'tis the season, I started with "A Christmas Carol" which I have only read in parts.  It was free!  Next, I stumbled onto a Christmas story I had never heard of before--"The Bird's Christmas Carol" and it cost me a grand total of 2.76.  After I read that book, and because I had enjoyed reading "A Christmas Carol" so much, I was seriously considering reading more Charles Dickens.  Then something odd and coincidental happened.  Oprah put a couple of Dickens books on her reading list for her reading club, or group, or whatever she calls it. 



Let me just say that I am not particularly an Oprah fan.  I can take her or leave her, and the most enjoyment I get out of her is the occasional SNL sketch lampooning her crazy give away shows by making the audience members go so nuts they end up exploding.


*Here's a link to one of those hilarious SNL sketches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JpXZ6xOvuE

But I do admire her for having the largest reading group/club/thingie pretty much ever--because it translates to more people becoming interested in reading.  I also have to say that the majority of her picks hold absolutely no interest for me, some even seem down right bad.  I have however read about a quarter of her selections, because she occasional does pick something very interesting.  So, all things considered, it seemed like fate that I was to pick up and read some more Dickens.  Oprah has "Great Expectations" and "A Tale of Two Cities" on her list, so I figured I would start there.  I browsed around on my Kindle and found the Oprah copy for 17.99--both books in a set.  I browsed a little more and found a copy of "Great Expectations" for free!, and a copy of "A Tale of Two Cities" for the whopping price of 2.25--thus bringing my current book buying total to 5.01!  Awesome if you ask me, considering that this is at least 50 dollars worth of books.  Best of all, Dickens is weighty and will slow me down from purchase more books for the time being.

As for features, the ink screen technology is great, my eyes don't get tired like they do staring at the computer screen.  And getting the extra 3G was the right choice for me.  No worrying about finding a Wi Fi source.  I just turn the thing on and go.  I suppose living in Honolulu would make finding Wi Fi pretty much a moot problem, but what if I get to move somewhere more remote one day?  Well, I don't really have to worry because I have the 3G. 

It's also slim and easy to handle.  The case I bought has an elastic band to hold it closed or open, as well as a slot on the inside cover to put you hand inside for easy handling.  It has a style look and a fairly simple interface.  I learned how to use the thing in like less than 5 mins.

Anyway, Kindle is like one of my new best friends and definitely here to stay!  I totally recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment